working at the museum
Thank you for your interest in working at the San Diego Air & Space Museum. The Museum believes in the empowerment of its people and that it's the people of an organization that creates success. The Museum believes in fair treatment to all, values diversity and is a committed Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diverse and talented staff identifies and supports our mission.
We encourage you to review our posted jobs and apply for a specific opening. Applying for a position helps us understand your skills and interests and allows us to contact those whose qualifications appear to most closely match position requirements. We regret that due to the number of applications we receive, we cannot respond personally to all of the highly qualified applicants who contact us. If you do not hear back from us, please feel free to check our openings and submit additional applications for other positions.
Notice: It is the policy of The San Diego Air & Space Museum to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disabilities, marital status, veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.
Creates and teaches education program curriculum, primarily for Fourth Grade School In the Park programming. School in the Park is an innovative program that shifts the location of "school" from a traditional classroom setting in an inner-city school, to the resources and educational opportunities available at museums in Balboa Park. A relevant instructional environment is created as hands-on learning challenges students to become active participants in their own education.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The Educator / Curriculum Developer supports the Director of Education in the operation of the Education Department and the implementation of the museum's education programs
- Primary duties are in-house creation of STEM-themed education program curriculum, primarily for fourth grade curriculum for the School in the Park program, and teaching of this program
- May be assigned to other curriculum and teaching requirements as needed
- Coordinates with other museum staff as necessary for the smooth implementation of all Education Department classes, programs, activities, and meetings
- Available for meetings with School in the Park staff as required, in another Balboa Park location. This may involve direct interaction and curriculum discussion with their staff and with local school teachers
- Availability for other Museum programs (outreach programs, special events, birthday parties, weekend family events, evening events and sleepovers) preferred but not required
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree
- Teaching experience, preferably in informal education
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Strong background in researching, developing and delivering educational programming in a team environment
- Ability to work in an informal learning environment while providing a structured school-classroom-type learning environment too, and ability to switch between both modes.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills with student and with museum staff and partners, and ability to deal effectively in a team environment
- Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Spanish writing and oral skills an advantage but not a necessity
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of current office and classroom standard software, including Microsoft Office and Google Documents
- Self-motivated, with attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and respond to changing teaching environments.
- Interest in and ability to learn current educational learning theories
- Basic knowledge and willingness to learn the field represented by the Museum collection
Work may be performed in an office environment, museum environment, or field environment. Slight physical activity, requiring handling of light-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than five (5) hours per day. No or very limited exposure to physical risk. The Museum is a non-smoking, drug-free workplace. Some evenings and weekends may be requested, but are not mandatory.
Received: Director of Education, oversight by other education staff members.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.