The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Robert V. Kerley Papers
Robert V. Kerley worked in fuels and lubricants research and development. In 1945, he joined Ethyl Corporation as Director of Aeronautical Research. He was heavily involved in the autobiography of Sam...find out more
Logbooks of the Lafayette Escadrille 103rd Pursuit Squadron
Logbooks of the Lafayette Escadrille 103rd Pursuit Squadron from World War I, recording day-to-day lives and combat details of the Squadron members. One from June 1, 1918 to December 15, 1918, the other...find out more
Andrew Lech Special Collection
Andrew Lech was an aviation model maker. His highly detailed models have been displayed at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum and the San Diego Air & Space Museum. His models date back to the 1920s.find out more
Frank S. "Luke" Luqueer Photograph Collection
The Frank S. "Luke" Luqueer Photograph Collection is composed of 4 large albums spanning the 1920s to the 1950s. They contain historic photos and correspondences from many important historical figures.find out more
Theodore C. Macaulay Special Collection
Col. Theodore C. Macaulay USAF (Ret.) was an early bird of aviation with a varied career. He became chief instructor and manager for various Curtiss Schools (including San Diego) and served USAAC as a...find out more