The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Donald H. Gordon Special Collection
An aviation pioneer, builder and pilot, Donald Gordon was actually the first person west of the Mississippi River to successfully fly a powered aircraft.find out more
Louis Edward Gordon Special Collection
Louis Gordon was the co-pilot/ mechanic on the 1928 Transatlantic flight of the Fokker F7 "Friendship" which flew from Newfoundland to Wales in 1928. Amelia Earhart was a passenger on this flight and it...find out more
Grumman F3F-2 Collection
The Grumman F3F was a last US biplane fighter aircraft, serving in the interim-war period. In 1990, SDASM restored a Grumman F3F that had been ditched off the coast of San Diego.find out more
J. M. F. Haase Photograph Collection
Born in San Francisco in 1893, JMF "Bunny" Haase joined the Navy in 1911 and was chief photographer at North Island Naval Air Station for much of his career in the 1920s and 1930s.find out more
Theodore Parsons Hall Personal Papers
Theodore Parsons ?Ted? Hall (1898-1978) was an accomplished aircraft designer and engineer. Notable among his various aircraft projects is the Consolidated flying automobile and the PBY Catalina.find out more