The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Joseph H. Famme Collection
Joseph H. Famme, an engineer and manufacturing executive, helped develop a variety of military and commercial aircraft for General Dynamics/Convair and its predecessor organizations since 1936.find out more
Raymond Fife Special Collection
Ray Fife (b. 1900) began his career as an aircraft mechanic as a child. The World Wars had him in factories and then North Island. He contributed to the construction of a Curriss A-1 replica and a Curtiss...find out more
Colonel Harold E. Fischer Personal Papers
Colonel Harold E. Fischer, Jr. was a fighter pilot in the Korean War. He was credited with shooting down 10 Soviet-made Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-1MiG-15 fighters, enough to qualify him as a double ace during...find out more
Harold A. Fisher Personal Papers
Harold Albert Fisher (1919-2009) served as an administrative officer for Air Group Eight during WWII. He later served as the Bureau of Aeronautics Representative to the Grumman Aircraft corporation, where...find out more
General Dynamics Environmental Impact Report
After General Dynamics terminated its aerospace manufacturing operation in San Diego in 1995, this report was created to deal with the facilities, which were on land leased from the San Diego Unified Port...find out more