The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
The F-105F "Thunderchief" was a supersonic fighter bomber produced by Republic Aviation and used by the United States Air Force until the United States ended their involvement in Vietnam.find out more
Joseph H. Famme Collection
Joseph H. Famme, an engineer and manufacturing executive, helped develop a variety of military and commercial aircraft for General Dynamics/Convair and its predecessor organizations since 1936.find out more
Raymond Fife Special Collection
Ray Fife (b. 1900) began his career as an aircraft mechanic as a child. The World Wars had him in factories and then North Island. He contributed to the construction of a Curriss A-1 replica and a Curtiss...find out more
General Dynamics Environmental Impact Report
After General Dynamics terminated its aerospace manufacturing operation in San Diego in 1995, this report was created to deal with the facilities, which were on land leased from the San Diego Unified Port...find out more
Elwyn H. Gibbon Collection
Elwyn Gibbon served in the Chinese 14th Volunteer Squadron from 1937-38. He was a test pilot for TWA, Lockheed, and was working for Vultee and the Chinese Air Force when he was killed in a crash.find out more