The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Norm Casson Personal Papers
Norm Casson worked on the Apollo Missions for NASA, beginning as an engineer and becoming the director in charge of checkout testing procedures.find out more
William Chana Collection
William Frank "Bill" Chana, Chicago native born in 1921, was a noted aviation consultant. He enjoyed an illustrious air and space career of over sixty years, spanning a number of memorable events.find out more
China National Aviation Corp. (McDonald) Collection
Founded in 1929 as a partnership between Curtiss Aircraft and the Chinese government, China National Aviation Corporation the collection contains a Aug - Oct 1945 Pass-Down Log from the CNAC base in India.find out more
Fred B. Churchill Collection
In 1940, Fred Churchill joined the Ryan School of Aeronautics as Asst Maintenance Supervisor for the Army Air Corps pilot training program. After the war, he worked for Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego, in...find out more
T. Claude Ryan Collection
The San Diego based Ryan Corporation started in 1922 as an air service and grew to become a training school, passenger airline, and aircraft manufacturer. In 1927 they built the famous "Spirit of St. Louis"...find out more