The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Roland A. Boucher Personal Papers
Roland A. Boucher, engineer and inventor who founded AstroFlights, which worked with electric-powered radio controlled aircraft and developed the world's first solar-powered aircraft.find out more
Mort Brown Personal Papers
Morton W. Brown is the first (retired) Chief Pilot of Production Flight Test with the Cessna Aicraft Company, working from 1937 to 1972 and logging 20,760 actual flight hours on 14,000 airplanes.find out more
Burdett Fuller Collection
A pioneer commercial pilot who logged 10,031 hours, 38,225 flights, and 18,259 passengers and never lost a passenger or student. Fuller worked as a stunt pilot, a test pilot, and served as president of...find out more
Caroline JFK Campaign Aircraft Collection
This collection details the technical life of President John F. Kennedy's campaign aircraft, the Caroline, which was the first private aircraft used exclusively for campaigning by an American presidential...find out more
Norm Casson Personal Papers
Norm Casson worked on the Apollo Missions for NASA, beginning as an engineer and becoming the director in charge of checkout testing procedures.find out more