The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Colonel Bernt Balchen Collection
Bernt Balchen was born in Norway and started flying in 1921, becoming a U.S. citizen in 1930. His accomplished career spanned 35 years, serving both the U.S. and Norwegian governments in cold-weather aviation.find out more
Horace Clyde Balsley Special Collection
Capt. Horace Clyde Balsley was a member of the Lafayette Escadrille and the first American whose plane was shot down during World War I, in effect, the first American pilot to be shot down in aerial combat.find out more
James Baross Personal Papers
James Baross (1923-2003) served as a radio operator aboard bombers during WWII, serving with the Army Air Forces, 501st Squadron, 345th Bomb Group.find out more
Hugh Baumann Personal Papers
Hugh Baumann was a US Navy aviator who was trained at NAS North Island in 1945. He served in the Korean War aboard two Navy carriers and later the commanding officer for Fighting Squadron 74.find out more
Miles Blaine Special Collection
Miles Blaine (1913-2009) was a long time San Diego resident and photographer for SDASM. His collection features 860+ photographs from 1935 to 1952, related to aviation and a growing San Diego.find out more