The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Glover Edwin Ruckstell Collection
Glover E. Ruckstell was a California native and early aviation engineer. In 1918 Ruckstell became a Commissioned Captain of the U.S.A. Airservice Aircraft Production where he was in charge of the de Haviland...find out more
Eddie Sanders Special Collection
While a Lt. Commander Eddie R. Sanders was the first Navy pilot to conduct extensive flight tests of a Japanese Mitsubishi A6M2 fighter plane, known to Allies as a "Zero," doing so first on September 2,...find out more
Donald Everett Schwarzer
Schwarzer served in the Eighth Air Force 392nd Bomb Group during World War II. He flew various missions, including 23 over Germany, receiving a Purple Heart and Air Medal.find out more
Louis M. Seeman Collection
Louis M. Seeman (b.1888) was trained and taught at the Curtiss School of Aviation in San Diego, CA, until being commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant for the U.S. Army Air Service, where he saw service in WWI.find out more
Thomas W. Sefton Collection
Thomas Sefton (1917-2006) a World War II veteran, assigned to troop carrier work in the Mediterranean. Honorably discharged in July 1946, he then worked at the San Diego Trust and Savings, eventually as...find out more