The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Capt. Knefler McGinnis Personal Papers
Capt. Knefler McGinnis served in the U.S. Navy from 1912 to 1946, having been trained as a naval aviator and serving aboard several naval destroyers. He was presented a Distinguished Flying Cross as commanding...find out more
Mitsubishi A6M7 Zero Collection
The Mitsubishi Navy Type Zero, better known as Zero Fighter, or Rei-sen (Reisen), was one of the most renowned Japanese aircraft during WWII. This collection contains materials used to restore the Zero.find out more
John J. Montgomery Personal Papers
John J. Montgomery (1858?-1911) was an aviation pioneer and is said to have made the first manned, controlled, heavier than air flights in the United States with his glider.find out more
Leslie Grimes Moser Personal Papers
Leslie Grimes (Leslie Grimes Moser) was a flight attendant for Capital International Airways in the late 1960s to early 1970s.find out more
Aram Parunak Personal Papers
Capt. Aram Y. "Dick" Parunak, USN (1910-2007) was a U.S. Navy pilot during WWII, who became the first pilot to land and takeoff on Greenland?s ice cap during the rescue of the crew of a crashed B-17. In...find out more