The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Pearl Harbor Dispatches Special Collection
This collection was written and compiled by Russ E. Pasewalk who was on the USS Tennessee (BB-43) in Pearl Harbor during the Dec. 7, 1941, attack by the Japanese.find out more
Major Oscar Perdomo Personal Papers
Major Oscar Perdomo flew a P-47 Thunderbolt with the 464th Fighter Squadron, 507th FG USAAF in the Pacific Theater, where he became the last "Ace in a Day" of WWII.find out more
Eugene P. Rankin Collection
Rankin earned his wings at the Naval Academy in Pensacola, FL, in 1941. He became commanding officer of a squadron of Consolidated PBY Catalina patrol aircraft in the Pacific and earned the Legion of Merit.find out more
William H. Renison Special Collection
William H. Renison (1906 - 1955) worked in several capacities for numerous aviation corporations, including: B/J Aeronautics Corp, Consolidated Vultee, McClellan, Northrop, and Hiller Helicopters.find out more
Rohr Aircraft Corporation
A significant collection from an aerospace manufacturing company rooted in San Diego: Rohr Industries, including thousands of images that document the rich history of the companyfind out more