The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Frank S. "Luke" Luqueer Photograph Collection
The Frank S. "Luke" Luqueer Photograph Collection is composed of 4 large albums spanning the 1920s to the 1950s. They contain historic photos and correspondences from many important historical figures.find out more
Theodore C. Macaulay Special Collection
Col. Theodore C. Macaulay USAF (Ret.) was an early bird of aviation with a varied career. He became chief instructor and manager for various Curtiss Schools (including San Diego) and served USAAC as a...find out more
Willard Martin Personal Papers
Willard Martin (b. 1917) began to work at Convair in the 1940s as a metal worker eventually serving as Operations General Supervisor, supervising experiment department operations and more through the 1970s.find out more
Capt. Knefler McGinnis Personal Papers
Capt. Knefler McGinnis served in the U.S. Navy from 1912 to 1946, having been trained as a naval aviator and serving aboard several naval destroyers. He was presented a Distinguished Flying Cross as commanding...find out more
Aram Parunak Personal Papers
Capt. Aram Y. "Dick" Parunak, USN (1910-2007) was a U.S. Navy pilot during WWII, who became the first pilot to land and takeoff on Greenland?s ice cap during the rescue of the crew of a crashed B-17. In...find out more