The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
J. Thad Johnson Personal Papers
J. Thad Johnson was a WWI navy pilot in training for most of WWI. After the war he participated in the first transcontinental flight from New York to San Francisco and other aviation feats.find out more
Robert V. Kerley Personal Papers
Robert V. Kerley worked in fuels and lubricants research and development. In 1945, he joined Ethyl Corporation as Director of Aeronautical Research. He was heavily involved in the autobiography of Sam...find out more
Logbooks of the Lafayette Escadrille 103rd Pursuit Squadron
Logbooks of the Lafayette Escadrille 103rd Pursuit Squadron from World War I, recording day-to-day lives and combat details of the Squadron members. One from June 1, 1918 to December 15, 1918, the other...find out more
Andrew Lech Special Collection
Andrew Lech was an aviation model maker. His highly detailed models have been displayed at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum and the San Diego Air & Space Museum. His models date back to the 1920s.find out more
Louis Lowry Personal Papers
Louis M. Lowry graduated from Parachute Riggers School at Chanute Field at Rantoul, Illinois in 1931. He went on to work for North American Rockwell Corporation from 1943 to 1969.find out more