The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Mark Irwin Photograph Collection
Mark Irwin worked for Convair as the Chief of the Film and Video Group from 1944 to 1977, during one of the most innovative and productive times periods of the company's existence.find out more
Parker Jackson Special Collection
Parker H. Jackson was the biographer Richard S. Requa, the master architect of the California Pacific International Exposition in 1935.find out more
Hilda Jarmuth Collection
Hilda Jarmuth was an early aviatrix who lived from 1900 to 1976. Her collection contains a large number of travel photos from throughout the decades and includes a small travel diary from 1937.find out more
J. Thad Johnson Personal Papers
J. Thad Johnson was a WWI navy pilot in training for most of WWI. After the war he participated in the first transcontinental flight from New York to San Francisco and other aviation feats.find out more
Robert V. Kerley Personal Papers
Robert V. Kerley worked in fuels and lubricants research and development. In 1945, he joined Ethyl Corporation as Director of Aeronautical Research. He was heavily involved in the autobiography of Sam...find out more