The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
J. M. F. Haase Photograph Collection
Born in San Francisco in 1893, JMF "Bunny" Haase joined the Navy in 1911 and was chief photographer at North Island Naval Air Station for much of his career in the 1920s and 1930s.find out more
Theodore Parsons Hall Personal Papers
Theodore Parsons ?Ted? Hall (1898-1978) was an accomplished aircraft designer and engineer. Notable among his various aircraft projects is the Consolidated flying automobile and the PBY Catalina.find out more
Harry H. Haw Personal Papers
Harry Haw served the U.S. Army as a pilot in the 514th Observation Squadron from 1917 to about 1930, after which he became a civilian transport pilot before moving to San Diego, CA, and becoming a science...find out more
Sam D. Heron Collection
Sam Heron was an aviation engineer, technician, and inventor who helped to develop the first successful air-cooled engine systems, as well as making various other notable contributions to the field.find out more
Jim Hester Personal Papers
James Harvey Hester was born to John and Amelia (Nichols) Hester in Rocky Ford, Colorado on July 16, 1898. The family operated a cattle ranch there and later in Riverside, CA. After school he served...find out more