The Archives has many collections of documents devoted to particular subjects, organizations or persons.
- Organizational Papers: Documents created for corporations or groups such as Ryan Aeronautical (Ryan, 1922-1969 and Teledyne Ryan, 1969-1999) and Convair (Consolidated Aircraft, 1923-1942; Consolidated Vultee (Convair), 1942-1956; General Dynamics, Convair Division, 1956-1996).
- Personal Papers: Documents created and accumulated by individuals and groups, including Charles A. Lindbergh, T. Claude Ryan, Reuben H. Fleet, Admiral Marc Mitscher, John Montgomery, Ed Heinemann, the Ninety-Nines, Oscar Perdomo, T.P. Hall, and Waldo Waterman.
We are currently working on cataloging, creating finding guides and digitizaing our special collections. Many of those which have been processed can be seen below. Here is a list of most of our special collections, which includes basic information on them.
We also have a variety of archival documents:
- Historic Photo Albums Index
- Pilot Log Book Index
- Aircraft Data Files Index (Not Complete)
- Misc. Subject Files Index (Not Complete)
- Rolled Drawings Index 1 and Index 2
The Library and Archives has digitized several of our rare books, including important publications from Consolidated/Convair Aircraft and Ryan Aeronautical, San Diego’s two most important aerospace companies. These documents highlight the day to day activities at these companies, the corporate history of both Ryan and Consolidated, life in San Diego during the Second World War and the flight schools Ryan operated. These books are searchable and can be found at: http://www.archive.org/details/sandiegoairspacemuseum
Walter J. Addems Special Collection
Walter Addems was an Early Bird who devoted much of his life to aviation. He was a barnstormer, mail pilot, Director of Flight Operations, and built a replica Nieuport XI in his 60s, flying it to SDASM...find out more
Air France Menus Special Collection
This collection contains menus for flights from Paris to Los Angeles and Buenos Aires to Paris. They feature food, artwork, commemorations to the storming of the Bastille, and models of different of aircraft.find out more
Army Air Corp. Air Mail Accidents Feb - April 1934
From February to June 1, 1934, the Army Air Corp delivered the nation's mail. Crashes and casualties marred the Army Air Corps Mail Operation (AACMO), but encouraged the Corp to rebuild itself prior to...find out more
Brigadier General James Raymond Alfonte Collection
Brigadier General Alfonte had a long military career and this collection contains material related to his association with aviation starting with his assignment to Rockwell Field in 1916, through his re-assignment...find out more
George B. Arnold Collection
George B. Arnold was the VP and general manager of Central Aircraft Manufacturing Company in China, where he was sent in 1937 to build the factory. He served as an associate with Curtiss-Wright in Buffalo...find out more